It's Chinese Take Out Time

Google




Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Countdown to ATPL

I Love Chinese

My Photo
Name:
Location: Singapore

An ordinary guy hoping to live life to the fullest. Awaiting the bigger things in life.

View My Auctions

Bring on the Dim Sum



We Fumble With Chopsticks

  • Aimin
  • Jing Fang
  • Caryn
  • Weiling
  • Fen
  • Peggy
  • Wenyan
  • Angie
  • Lynn
  • Grace Koh
  • Suan Siong
  • Alicia
  • Caryn
  • Kai Jie
  • Diana
  • Ziwei
  • Pan Hui Ru
  • Snufflezz
  • Sarah
  • SG Fairy
  • Black High Heels
  • Lyn.c(SG Newscaster)
  • Justin
  • Kanny
  • Cordelia
  • Jocelyn
  • Su Feng
  • Felicia Chin
  • SugarJocelyn
  • Jessica Tan
  • Huilin
  • Cindy
  • Weiling
  • Kenny
  • Eelyn Kok
  • Che Yin
  • Tampines 1
  • Camemberu
  • Fan Wenqing
  • Yu-Kim
  • Karen Ashley Ng
  • DarDar&KaiKai
  • Jeneen
  • Yiting
  • Clarice
  • Reiee Koh
  • Kim Ho Desiree
  • Jenny
  • Peggy Heng
  • Silver Ang
  • Kimberly Wakerman
  • Kimberly Haley Wang
  • Katherine Yang
  • Rebecca Lim
  • Mei Ting
  • Rachel Wong
  • Hazel Low
  • Ivy SMJ
  • Miyake
  • Cherlyn Tan
  • Soh Peishi
  • Maybeline Sim
  • Janice Goh
  • Serene Heng
  • Catherine Liew
  • Fiona Ryou
  • Jessica TippyTapp
  • May
  • Ziyi Kuek
  • Gwen Teo
  • Melissa Celestine Koh
  • Miss Tam Chiak
  • Elin Wong
  • Nicole Ann Leong
  • Claires Flair
  • Yina Goh
  • Lucinda Zhou
  • Jolene Zhou
  • Sim Peiling
  • Ziying
  • Seokyee
  • Lim Junying
  • Karen Yun
  • Zoe Raymond
  • Joslina Ophelia
  • Yee Kit
  • Shine Koh
  • Ee Xuan
  • Ang Geck Geck
  • Mayne Lim
  • Rachel Lim
  • Emily Chia
  • Mio Lin
  • Emmie Neo
  • Ivy Goh
  • Huirong
  • Apple Yap
  • Cordelia Low
  • Elaine Jasmine
  • Sophia Berries
  • Shenny Yang
  • Lim Yanntorng
  • Amelia Wong
  • Pamela Lua
  • Xueqi
  • Freda Poh
  • Yilin Goh
  • Kayla Wong
  • Honey Lim
  • Tobey Cline
  • CXGE90
  • Scribbles
  • Hoongji
  • Grocery List
  • We Like Chinese Too


    Chinese Cuisine

    Blogskins.com
    Liverpool FC
    SoccerNet
    Aviation
    Automotive

    Adventures With Chopsticks

    <

    Fortunes Can Be Funny

    Web Counter

    Sunday, February 26, 2006

    The Past

    I was unpacking all the stuff I brought back from camp ystd. A lot of washing up had to be done n I had to find space to keep all my army stuff. No, it's still not the end of my army life. I still have to serve another 10yrs as a reservist NS-man. So yeah, I have to keep n store everything until my next call up. Amidst of all the unpacking, I came upon a little diary I kept during the 1st few weeks I was posted into unit 39SCE after my Basic Military Training in Pulau Tekong Island. Reading it brought back some memories. Not one the best memories to be recalled, but I'm definitely glad that it's all over. Here it goes......

    28th April 2004, Wednesday
    Waking up in the morning, I realized that it was my 1st time during my NS that I'm w/o both my Platoon Commander(PC) n Platoon Sergeant(PS) in camp with us. We had pasta for breakfast, not one of the best but it was still acceptable. As usual, we had to do our area cleaning after coming back from the cookhouse.

    After that, we had a lecture on "Training Safety". It was boring, the lesson didn't interest me at all. However, I have to admit what was taught was definitely necessary. The lesson lasted all the way till lunch time. We had the stupid chin-up regime again b4 we can consume our lunch. By this time, I was hungry n tired from the long lecture. I'm sick of seeing the bar. Nonetheless, we had to do it. Lunch, it was western food, PERFECT!!

    We had a self study session in the lecture room after lunch. I find it very stupid that we had to be forced to study when we're already grown ups. This is redundant. Finally, we had our test n it was easy, but not idiot proof. Took barely 15min to finish it. There was thunder n lightning during dinner time, so we didn't have to march, how cool... The rest of the night belonged to us. I miss Kim..... Three more days to booking out.

    29th April 2004, Thursday
    It was the 2nd day w/o our PC n PS in camp. Morning, we had 5BX, breakfast was yam n luncheon meat (it sucks) . The sky was cloudy n the weather was cooling. After area cleaning, it was revision time.

    Firstly, we had Level A suit revision in the morning. We were being tested on our efficiency in handling of the suit n SCBA. I love handling these sophisticated stuff n the test was of no problem to me. However, my assistant, Jeevan from platoon 3, took so long to set up everything n zipping up the suit, I had to suffer very long in the hot suit. I wonder whether he paid attention during lessons.

    Lunch time, chin ups again. Then, we had Individual Protective Equipment(IPE) drills revision. Our SBO n helmet were our additional gears this time round, which made things even more difficult for us. It was not easy to do things with the thick rubber gloves on n our eyes closed.

    Our sergeants later told us we will have our Smoke Chamber Test next Monday. I'm excited but yet afraid because they said it will make us cry a lot with the tear inducing pellets. Heck@!

    My day ended after dinner. It was a very hectic day. I'’s raining very heavily in Seletar now, guess it'll be a cold night for us. I hope Kim won't forget her blanket.

    3rd May 2004, Monday
    It's Monday again n I booked in reluctantly. We had M16 arms drill practice in the morning. Thank god the weather was nice n cool, unlike last week's disastrous encounter with our Company Sergeant Major(CSM).

    The drill was short n then we had to prepare for our "adventure" at the Smoke Training Facility(STF). I was nervous, wondering what was installed for me. Upon reaching the smoke chamber, I saw the "gas room". It's green n fairly small, not what I had expected. I waited pretty long for my turn to come. I dawn up my protective suit quite easily when my turn came as previous practices were useful.

    First entrance, we did the 5BX, took out our mask n walked outta room. The smoke stung my skin, made me tear like crazy n mucous flowed outta my nose, showing no sign of stopping. It was then I realized the importance of wearing our protective suit properly. Second entrance, we had to perform Immediate Action, Immediate Decontamination n drinking drills. Third n last entrance, we had to perform the canister change drill. The overall encounter was fun. It was one kind of an experience, but the feeling of the smoke wasn't pleasant at all. I hope I won't have to go through this often in the future.

    4th May 2004, Tuesday
    I woke up in the morning feeling exhausted. Frankly speaking, 7hrs of sleep of sleep is never enough. I had a bun n red bean paste puff for breakfast, resisting my favourite laksa due to the run later.

    We had to fall in at 7.30am to get ready for the run. I felt tired, unwilling to run the long 4.5km. I have never imagined I'll run so much in a week, until I came into 39SCE. The run kicked off after a warm up n I ran at my slow comfortable pace, clocking a time of 26min19sec. It was slow, but I believe I can do better.

    I was even more tired after the run. My muscles are aching like hell n the rest of the day was a torture. A run like this destroyed my day. Fortunately, it was just revision for the rest of the day, nothing strenuous. Lunch n dinner was good though.

    Tomorrow is going to be our practical test day. Hope I won't screw up. I'm dead beat now, how I wish I can hug her to sleep.

    5th May 2004, Wednesday
    Yawnzzzz.. It's damn tiring to wake up so early every morning. The ususal 5BX, breakfast n area cleaning. The guard house I have to clean is a big piece of shit, full of blood thirsty mosquitoes. My legs will always be decorated with bites after the clean up.

    We had our practical test at the Multipurpose Hall. First up, IPE drills. It wasn't easy n I neglected the little details of some of the drills. Lunch time, western food wasn't as good as we all thought it might be.

    After lunch, it was back to the test again. This time, it was the Lightweight Decontamination Suit(LDS), DCS(Decontamination Crew Suit) n Level A suit. These three were much easier to handle. However, I hate the wet feeling of the suits as they feel dirty. The test dragged on till dusk. The optometrists came to our camp at night to measure the degree of our eyesight into order to provide us with lenses in our gas masks. I went for it. Haha.. It was nice having a look at those young female Optometrists. Finally, everything ended at 9.15pm. Tiring day...

    6th May 2004, Thursday
    It was drizzling when I woke up for breakfast. Had the sucky fried noodles. We had mask game as training in the morning. Played captain ball n I have to admit it was extra tough playing with our mask on. Our perception level dropped dramatically n breathing was bloody tough. It was like we could die anytime due to difficulty in breathing. But I still enjoyed the game as it is more fun than the dreaded mask run.

    After the game, it was lecture time. It was on the boring COLPRO Protective Shelter System(CPSS). We had to wait till 12plus to have our lunch. We were all famished. Had theory test right after lunch, It was ok, but not easy, hopefully I can pass. Had a short rest after the test n we had another revision on the IPE drills. It was essential as all of us were not very good in our drills yet.

    Our day ended after dinner. During the daily Routine Oder(RO), our PC came down n talked to us about the handphone incident 2 nights ago. I have to admit my platoon's discipline is poor. It is so unlike the level I had to maintain in Raven Company during my Basic Military Training. I think we have to wake up our idea b4 something drastic happens. Tensions are getting high...

    7th May 2004, Friday
    Pulled myself outta bed this morning. Had a new style of 5BX. It was crap as it made me do various weird exercises. I still prefer the old one. Wonder which weirdo invented the new set of 5BX. Bread with tuna for breakfast, not bad.

    Did area cleaning n rested till 9am. Then we were instructed to carry the dismantled version of the CPSS to the volleyball court. The Air Purification Unit n Air-Condition Unit were fucking heavy. They can break your back just by carrying them. We received our test result next n I was relieved that I passed. Had porridge for lunch n we went back to check out the set up version of the CPSS. The guys from the other company had it done for us cos we're still new to it. It is very big, but the inside was hot n stuffy, just like what PC had told us.

    Had a good rest till 3.30pm n it was time for IPE drills again. It was easy after so many practices we've had. Dinner was average, but we had sharks' fin soup, without the sharks' fin that is. Friday has ended n it will be book out day tomorrow. Can't wait to see my dear Kim......

    31st May 2004, Monday
    It was another much dreaded Monday, but this week will be good due to the Vesak Day public holiday on Wednesday. As usual, had muster parade, foot drills n drawing of arms. Hate the M16 rifle. It hardly fit into the small cupboard we have. Spent the rest of the morning cleaning my rifle.

    Chin ups b4 lunch; the meal was good. Had a "standby universe" after lunch. It's another one of the brainless stuff in army. So troublesome to bring EVERYTHING out of our cupboard for the sergeants to check for illegal items. Luckily they didn't find anything.

    Evening, we played soccer!! Sergeant Jun You joined in n played against my team. He has the speed of a Formula One car, racing down the court chasing for the ball. One of his tackles even tripped me off my feet. Nevertheless, it was fun playing with him. It will be book out day tomorrow. Please come quickly......

    3rd June 2004, Thursday
    Booked in again, my holiday was crap. Spent the day doing the fucking 1500 essay n made me unable to keep my girlfriend company. Had physical training n we played soccer. PS joined in n I think it's more interesting with him playing with us. Sadly, the game ended prematurely due to thunder n lightning.

    Went back to bunk, took a bath n we had to put on the gas mask at 9am. The feeling is shit, but we have no choice. Had the hot n stuffy mask on our faces till lunch time at 12noon. 3hrs straight, we were half dead. Thank god lunch was good n our mood became better.

    Back to the mask again at 1.30pm, all the way to 3pm. It was getting harder as time passed. We even had to study for a test with the mask on. After a while, I really felt giddy straining my poor eyes to read the notes. Our optical lenses are still not ready yet. 300degrees of astigmatism per eye for me is no joke.

    Soon, the test was conducted n it was very tough. Failure is not impossibe. Had dinner n my day ended. Eventhough we didn't do much, but we were all exhausted. The mask is really powerful...

    4th June 2004, Friday
    Woke up, 5BX n chin ups. Choon Pien managed to do 2 chin ups today, a great achievement considering that he always failed to do even one. Glad that he's showing some improvement n hope that another platoon mate, Dharmendran, will show the same improvement too. Breakfast, bread with scrambled eggs, the usual stuff.

    Area cleaning again after a short rest. The drains surrounding the guard house were pathetic. The construction workers threw so much soil into the drains, I had a hell time cleaning it. We even saw a burst water pump n a lot of fresh drinking water was wasted. During our routine standby area, our water supply was cut off. Must be the burst pump.

    It was back to masking up at 9am. I felt really thirsty but there was no water to drink. Had porridge for lunch, one of the ways to quench my thirst. Had to mask up again at 1.30pm. It was getting real tiring. Unfortunately, some of us were caught without the mask n the whole platoon was made to fall in n stand still for 25minutes. Then, SG Vincent showed us all the other equipment that we haven't learnt. There are still a lot to learn even when we've already been in 39SCE for 2 months. It's Saturday tomorrow, our book out day. Hope PS won't give us another dreaded 100 push ups b4 booking out.


    WaiZai fumbled with chopsticks @ 2/26/2006 01:01:00 pm | 0 has delicate hands